BY CHIKA OKEKE, Abuja
As attacks on Christians and others persist, the United States of America has deployed 100 military personnel to Nigeria to strengthen the fight against insurgency.
Confirming the presence of foreign troops, the Defence Spokesperson, Samaila Uba said that the deployment followed a recent security agreement between Nigeria and the US.
The US personnel, who arrived at Bauchi airfield with military equipment are expected to assist in training members of the Nigerian Armed Forces while providing technical support and intelligence sharing.
Uba said: "The collaboration will provide access to specialised technical capabilities aimed at strengthening Nigeria’s ability to deter terrorists’ threats and enhance the protection of vulnerable communities across the country."
He noted that US personnel are not combat forces, adding that all training activities will be conducted under the authority, direction and control of the Federal Government and in close coordination with the Nigerian military.
Uba assured that Nigerian troops, alongside the US trainers, will commence a series of joint training engagements and intelligence-focused cooperation initiatives in the coming days.
Why US Deployment
The deployment stemmed from months of utterances by US President, Donald Trump and its legislators over the persistent killing of Christians in Nigeria.
In November 2025, President Trump vowed that the United States military are battle-ready to invade Nigeria given the alleged unwarranted killing of Christians especially in the Northeast and Northwest.
This followed a statement by the US President, Donald Trump on Saturday, November 1, that he had ordered the Pentagon to begin planning for potential military action in Nigeria as the Federal Government failed to end the attacks on Christians.
The statement posted via his social media read: "If the Nigerian Government continues to allow the killing of Christians, the USA will immediately stop all aid and assistance to Nigeria, and may very well go into that now disgraced country, ‘guns-a-blazing,’ to completely wipe out the Islamic Terrorists who are committing these horrible atrocities."
Recall that President Trump had on Friday, October 31, 2025, announced the designation of Nigeria as 'a country of particular concern' over the persistent persecution of Christians.
Responding to the threat, President Bola Tinubu stated that the designation of giant of Africa as a religiously intolerant country does not reflect the national reality.
Prolonged Threats
Earlier this month, the United States also dispatched troops to Nigeria for counter-terrorism operations and other related security threats in line with the expanded cooperation between Washington and Abuja.
Commander of the United States Africa Command (AFRICOM) General Dagvin R.M. Anderson said on Tuesday, February 4, 2026, that Nigeria and the United States agreed on the need for closer military collaboration to address the lingering insecurity.
Anderson did not disclose the exact size and mission details of the deployed team, but described it as a small contingent with unique capabilities provided by the United States.
The Nigerian government had denied any systematic persecution of Christians, saying that it is targeting Islamist fighters and other armed groups that attack both Christians and Muslim civilians.
Boko Haram and Islamic State West Africa Province (ISWAP) fighters have intensified attacks on military convoys and civilians, and the northwest remains the epicentre of the 17-year Islamist insurgency.
The newly established ISIL-linked Lakurawa, as well as other jihadist group like al-Qaeda and al-Shabaab that specialise in kidnapping for ransom and illegal mining are fully operational in the northeast and northwest.
Over 350, 000 persons have lost their lives since the beginning of insurgency in Nigeria, according to the United Nations Development Programme (UNDP).
Comments
Post a Comment